Friday, April 8, 2011

Strengths & Weaknesses

Strengths:
I know how to work a computer and I can figure our most technology.  I like using technology when I'm learning in a class and I feel like I would be effective in teaching students to use that technology.  I am very aware of technology - especially after reading the articles and viewing the videos about it - and I see that is is rapidly developing and even more rapidly becoming a part of each and every one of our lives.  I know how to use the internet and how to access what I want on the internet.  I feel that because of this I will be effective in finding teaching strategies and techniques, also content that would be appropriate for teaching on the web.  DVD's and CD players are simple for me and easy to use in a classroom.  Using other forms of audio and visuals are not to hard for me to figure out either. And I know how to use email and I think it's one of the best means of communication for teachers.  It's convenient for teachers and its easy to use.  I also know how to communicate and video chat through Skype in case a video conference is every necessary. I do know how to create a website through google, but otherwise I'm clueless.  I also know how to create podcasts and vidcasts and think they would be fun for students to create as well.  When it comes to using Word Processing systems I feel extremely comfortable and able to not only help others but I can define most of the components of Word Processing programs. 

Weaknesses:
I don't know computer terms very well or the high tech definitions of technology.  I don't even know what "trouble-shooting" is.  I don't know very much about what is legal and what is illegal when it comes to computers and technology. I'm not sure I know how to accommodate students with special needs when they're using technology. 
 I don't really know what a database is. Spreadsheets are handy but I've become out of practice in using them and sometimes I get a little confused with them.  I'm not sure what a graphic organizer is and I'm still learning about instructional software.
Goals:1. Learn more about what I don't know about technology.  I'm sure that once I learn what I don't know about technology it will come in handy and it'll be information that will be helpful and good to know.
2. Have a project involving technology/ vidcasts for students atleast once a year.  In creating my own Digital Story I learned a lot about technology.  I fell like Digital Stories could be the new "book report" type of project.  It was hard work but it was a lot of fun to make it!
3. Learn about what is legal and what is illegal when it comes to technology and computers.  I can't be letting my students do projects if they're illegal.
4. Re-learn how to use spreadsheets.  I know that teachers use them all the time to take attendance and keep track of their students' grades.

 Sources to Improving my Weaknessess:
 What is a Driver?
-This is a start for me learning a little bit more about technology and computer terminology.  Learning what a driver is will be good to know in case I ever have a problem with one, or who knows maybe I'll be come an expert and will be the one fixing a drive/driver at my school! 
How to Use Google Spreadsheets/Microsoft Excel
-I can use this to re-learn how to use spreadsheets, which I know will be a handy skill to have as a teacher for any grade.

No comments:

Post a Comment